The United Nations Academic Impact is an international initiative that aligns institutions of higher education with the United Nations and contributes to the goals of the UN, including the promotion and protection of human rights, access to education, and sustainability. Kristu Jyoti College of Management and Technology became a part of the UNAI in 2016 to work with the aims of the United Nations. A unit of UNAI in KCMT, which comes under the main organisation KFUNAI (Kerala Forum for United Nations Academic Impact), was inaugurated by Mr.Saji Charuvel Thomas (UN Representative) in New York on October 16, 2016.
Academic Impact is informed by a commitment to support and advance ten basic principles:
- A commitment to the principles inherent in the United Nations Charter as values that education seeks to promote and help fulfill;
- A commitment to human rights, among them freedom of inquiry, opinion, and speech;
- A commitment to educational opportunity for all people regardless of gender, race, religion or ethnicity;
- A commitment to the opportunity for every interested individual to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary for the pursuit of higher education;
- A commitment to building capacity in higher education systems across the world;
- A commitment to encouraging global citizenship through education;
- A commitment to advancing peace and conflict resolution through education;
- A commitment to addressing issues of poverty through education;
- A commitment to promoting sustainability through education;
- A commitment to promoting intercultural dialogue and understanding, and the "unlearning" of intolerance, through education.